by Diana Coada
Owners often turn to their homeowners association (HOA) boards for action regarding and protection against sex offenders.
As an HOA, you should:
- NOT spread the known sex offender’s name and address.
- Ensure adequate security is provided on common areas (cameras at the pool, for example).
- Remind the homeowners that the HOA only has the powers and duties set forth in its governing documents and the law.
As an HOA, you can:
- Publish or make known to the homeowners the website for the sex offender registry.
- Look into amending the HOA governing documents to ban sex offenders from renting or owning property in the community after seeking a lawyer’s advice. Such amendments are potentially illegal and likely to be declared as such by the courts.